Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding areas?
- FAQ. Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding areas?» often ask the following questions
- 1 other answer
- Your answer
- 22 Related questions
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding areas?» often ask the following questions:
❗ What are sunspots cooler than the surrounding areas?
- Sunspots appear dark to us because they're cooler than the surrounding areas on the sun's visible surface, or photosphere , which has a temperature of about 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit (5,537.8 degrees Celsius ). The dark interior of a sunspot, called the umbra, is about 1,600 degrees cooler than the rest of the sun's surface.
- Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding surface of the sun?
- Are sunspot hotter or cooler than the surrounding areas?
- Why do some areas of the photosphere become cooler than surrounding areas?
❗ Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding solar surface areas?
- However, since we are talking about the Sun, cooler means 3800K (6380℉) instead of 5800K (9980℉) Sunspots are cooler because the local magnetic field suppresses convection and prevents heat inside the sun from rising toward the surface. The magnetic field also exerts pressure, which keeps warmer gas away from the area.
- Are sunspots hotter or cooler than adjacent areas of the sun?
- Are sunspots appear dark because they are cooler than the surrounding solar surface?
- Are sunspots hotter or cooler than normal sun?
❗ Sunspots are cooler than the surrounding solar surface?
- Sunspots appear as dark patches in the solar photosphere . These are areas where strong magnetic field has emerged from below the solar surface. The strong magnetic field suppresses the release of heat into the photosphere making sunspots cooler than their surroundings.
- Why are sunspots cooler than the sun itself?
- Are sunspots cooler or hotter than rest of sun?
- Are sunspots cooler than the rest of the sun?
1 other answer
I'm not an astrophysicist but I know they are cooler because they are farther away from the source of heat than the surrounding area. The cause of a sun spot is probably excess heat. But as the spot, or eruption, climbs away from the sun it become cooler. It shows as black only because the lenses that are necessary to allow looking at the sun do not allow the smaller amount of light from a spot to be seen. Consider the room where you are. You may be able to see everything in it. But it is not all lit the same and if you put on a pair of sunglasses you might not be able to see areas where you could before. These areas are black, though they are still lit in actual fact.
We've handpicked 22 related questions for you, similar to «Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding areas?» so you can surely find the answer!
Is buoyant air cooler or warmer than surrounding air?
If moisture content is the same, it would be warmer.
What are dark areas cooler than their surroundings?
Why gardens and forests cooler than rocky areas?
trees and plants release water vapour in the air thereby,reducing the temperature.they also provide shade and absorb much of the heat recieved by the earths surface.whereas, rocky areas are completely bare.thats why gardens and forests are cooler than rocky areas.
Are sunspots regions of cooler gas?
Sunspots are regions of cooler gas; however, they are still extremely hot.
Why are sunspot cooler than the surrounding surface of the sun?
they have strong magnetic activity.
Why is water in a swimming pool cooler than the surrounding sidewalk?
because water loses heat more rapidly
Are sunspots cooler or hotter on the suns surface?
they are cooler
Does air move from warmer areas to cooler areas?
What is a dark area of the sun that is cooler than the surrounding area?
they are called sunspots.
Why does the air from a fan's jet stream feel cooler than the surrounding environmental temperature?
Temperature is the same, but the stream of air takes more moisture off your skin then steady air. While doing that it effectively cools more your skin. As result you feel it as "cooler" air.
Why does coastal water in areas with hotter water have drier climates than having higher climates salinity than coastal water in cooler more humid areas?
This is because less fresh water runs into the ocean in drier areas and because heat increases the evaporation rate.
Areas of gas on the sun that are cooler than the gases around them?
As strange as it is to think of a body as hot as the sun having such a thing as a "cool" spot, it actually does! These areas are known as sunspots. Their number changes from year to year and they appear darker in color when studied by astronomers.
Why does heat energy flow from warm areas to cooler areas?
Heat energy generally possesses kinetic energy.Kinetic energy is the energy a body has when it is in motion.The particles of the warm area move rapidly.Depending on the medium there is transfer of heat from the warm area to the cooler one
Are tectonic plates pulled toward cooler areas?
- The plates are moved by heated material in the Earth. The plates float along ocean waves The plates are pulled toward cooler areas. The plates are lifted by the eruption of volcanoes.
Is meta cooler stronger than cooler?
Yes, Meta Cooler is much stronger than Cooler. Cooler in his 5th form was defeated by SSJ Goku; however, Meta Cooler was defeated only by SSJ Goku and SSJ Vegeta at full power.
What are areas of gas on the sun that are cooler than the gases around them?
What are areas of gas on the sun that are cooler than the gasses around them?
Do areas close to oceans have cooler winters and cooler summer?
No i don't think so for the summer because the suns beam just reflects off of the water. But going into the water will help in the summer NOT IN THE WINTER :)
Why are areas along the west coast of california cooler than you would expect for their latitude?
Because of the cold ocean's current traveling along the coast.
Why does the glass on a window pane feel cooler to the touch than the wood frame surrounding the glass?
Wood is a better thermal insulator than glass, which is easily cooled.
Are dogs cooler than cats?
Well, you can't really answer this question because there are people who think dogs are better and then there are others who think cats are better.Answer:According to the Veterinary Information for Cats site, a cat's normal temperature ranges from 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. The normal body temperature for dogs ranges between 99.5° to 102.5°F. So while dogs and cats may be the same temperature in some cases the potential for dogs to be slightly cooler does exist.
Are kids cooler than parents?
In some ways, Yes