Why does a marble floor feel cooler to the feet than a carpet at the same temperature?
- FAQ. Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Why does a marble floor feel cooler to the feet than a carpet at the same temperature?» often ask the following questions
- 1 other answer
- Your answer
- 24 Related questions
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Why does a marble floor feel cooler to the feet than a carpet at the same temperature?» often ask the following questions:
❗ Why does room-temperature tile feel cooler to the bare feet than a wooden floor at the same temperature?
Tile moves heat faster than wood. Wood is more of an insulator than tile. The feeling felt has do to with the speed at which heat is removed by tile.
- Why does a metal door knob feel cooler to your hand than a carpet feels on your bare feet?
- Why do ceramic tiles in a kitchen or bathroom feel cooler than a floor mat that is kept at the same temperature?
- Why does grass feel cooler than pavement?
❗ Is granite cooler than marble?
No, granite is not considered to be cooler in temperature than marble is. In fact, marble is approximately 7 degrees cooler than granite is.
- Why does metal feel cooler than foam?
- Why does water feel cooler than the air?
- Why does the air from a fan's jet stream feel cooler than the surrounding environmental temperature?
❗ Why does a piece of metal feel cooler than a piece of wood at the same temperature?
The mobile electrons in metals carry heat away faster than the relatively immobile electrons in wood or insulators, thus metal feels colder than wood at the same temperature.
- Why cemented floor is cooler than wooden floor in winter?
- Why does mercury have a cooler surface temperature than venus?
- Why does the same room temperature inside your home feel cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
1 other answer
The marble is really good at conducting heat away from your hand but because the carpet isn't as dense and has lots of air between the fibres it is not a very good heat conductor. Because the marble is a goodheat conductor it cools down your feet quickly and so they feel colder but the carpet cannot cool down your feet. An interesting experiment to try is to get three bowls and put hot water in one, cold water in another and a 50:50 mix of hot and cold in the third. Put one hand in the hot water and the other hand in the cold water for 20 seconds and then put them both into to third bowl. Try it but be careful that the water isn't too hot.
We've handpicked 24 related questions for you, similar to «Why does a marble floor feel cooler to the feet than a carpet at the same temperature?» so you can surely find the answer!
Why do you sometimes feel cooler than it is?
The wind can make it feel cooler - wind chill.
Does static moist air feel cooler?
If the air is humid, it has a high water content. It's more difficult to transfer your body heat to water than it is to air… This leaves chilled water molecules against your skin and makes a cold environment feel even chillier.
Why does dry heat feel cooler?
According to chief meteorologist Amber Sullins, once the summer heat reaches a certain high temperature, if the air is dry enough, there's a tipping point where the heat index begins to feel cooler than the actual temperature outside. Here's how Amber explains it: "Our bodies cool off through the evaporation of sweat.
Is the temperature below ground cooler than above ground?
- "Ground temperatures At depths below four feet, ground temperature stays a constant 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit year-round." http://www.alliantenergygeothermal.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/geo_how_001211.hcspI hope this helps a little. Have a good day. Subject: Re: temperature below ground - is it cooler than above ground?
Does carpet really keep a house cooler?
Carpet is similar to tile in its ability to hold heat and make a room feel warmer due to the thickness of the carpet pile and complex surface area in thicker carpeting material. Lighter color carpets absorb less heat, and thinner carpets also stay cooler than thicker ones.
Why does a swimming pool feel cooler than the air in the morning?
Water transfers temperature better than air. If you leave a key and a cotton ball in the sun in your car, they will both be the same temperature but the key will burn harder.
Why does glass in a window feel cooler than the wooden window frame?
The heat loss from the glass pane is quicker, as it directly affected by cooling air currents, which have less affect on the wooden window frame.
Which temperature would feel cooler -40 degrees celsius or -40 degrees fahrenheit?
How to use marble wine cooler?
How to Use a Marble Wine Chiller
- Wipe the marble wine cooler down with a clean, damp cloth.
- Place the wine cooler in the freezer an hour before use.
- Remove the cooler from the freezer. Place the wine in the cooler and add ice if there is additional space…
- Pour excess water and ice out of the cooler.
How does prespiring make you feel cooler?
When the water in the sweat evaporates it takes some of your body heat with it, cooling you down.
How does sweating make you feel cooler?
When the water (sweat) evaporates it takes some of the heat with it.
Why does sweating make you feel cooler?
Because it evaporates.
Why does a metal spoon feel cooler than a piece of wood at 20c?
Because metal has better thermal conductivity than wood. Thermal conductivity depends of the atomic and molecular structure of the stuff. The air is a poor thermal conductor, but water is better.
Why does glass in a window feel cooler than the wooden frame around it?
glass is always at a lower temperature than wood
Is the temperature in the shade cooler than in the sun?
- The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight. In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight.
Why does the ice cream feel cooler to the teeth than the ice cold water?
Ice cream feels cooler to our teeth than ice cold water because during the change of state some amount of heat is absorbed which is known as Latent Heat. So in ice no hidden heat is absorbed while in cool water latent heat of fusion or melting is absorbed.
Does a dehumidifier make a room feel cooler?
- A dehumidifier itself does not do anything to cool the room. It is not an air conditioner and does not blow cold air. But by using a dehumidifier to remove enough humidity from a room, the air will automatically feel cooler. You know the feeling, especially if you live in an area where the humidity can knock you out in the summer.
How does a fan make us feel cooler?
The faster moving air from the fan displaces the warmer air that is in direct contact with our skin. This enhances the rate of convective heat transfer, which means we feel cooler. Moisture in the form of sweat on our skin also evaporates more quickly in the presence of fast moving air.
Why does it feel cooler in the shade?
- In the shade, solar radiation is blocked which makes your patio feel cooler. In shade, solar radiation is blocked so that your skin is better protected against some of the harmful UV rays in sunlight. Shade can help protect your eyes from harmful UV rays that can cause vision damage.
How many degrees cooler is a temperature of 85 fahrenheit than a temperature of 110 fahrenheit?
25 degrees cooler.
Why do basements usually feel cooler than the rest of the building?
Hot air rises and cold air falls. Also basments are usually constructed out of cement and are not nessecerialy insulated as well as other parts of the building.
Can wine cooler sit on carpet?
Moving along with the most optimum location for the wine cooler, you should avoid placing it on any type of carpeting… Because carpet is a common floor surface, many have no other option but to store their wine cooler on the carpet. If this is the case, invest in a plastic mat.
Is a temperature inversion cooler or warmer than the layer below it?
Warmer than below.
Was last year's average global temperature cooler than the long-term average?